To some people, food is nothing more than a source of energy while others perceive it as the source of endless happiness… Slowing down and noticing what we eat allows us to appreciate what a blessing it is to be able to consume good and nutritious meals. And if done with friends, it can easily turn into one of the most socially pleasing activities. Especially now.
Here are my TOP 3 delicious meal recipes to enjoy alone or in good company:
1. Chipotle Orange Shrimp with Rice
Chipotle Orange Sauce:
1 chipotle pepper (or half of one pepper, for a less spicy version)
3/4 cup heavy cream
2 cloves garlic
1/2 teaspoon salt
zest of one orange
Shrimp and Rice
a drizzle of olive oil
1 pound uncooked shrimp, tails removed, patted dry
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1 1/2 cups white rice (I like jasmine rice or just plain long grain rice)
a big handful of chopped cilantro
optional, for serving: salad, slaw, zippy cucumbers (see notes)
- Sauce: Blend sauce ingredients together until mostly smooth. But don’t overblend! See notes.
- Rice: Cook rice according to package directions. Stir in cilantro and salt to taste (+ add lime juice, or the juice of the zested orange, if you want some citrus goodness in there).
- Shrimp: Heat the oil over medium high heat. Add the shrimp and sauté for 2 minutes on each side, sprinkling with the cumin, plus some salt and pepper.
- Finish: Add the sauce and simmer for another 5 minutes or so. Serve shrimp over rice, with a salad or some fresh zippy cucumbers.
2. Lighter Mongolian Beef Meal
- Flank steak
- Soy sauce
- Slice steak thinly, then divide steak in half. Work in two batches to toss the steak until lightly coated in cornstarch.
- Heat oil in a pan over medium-high heat. Work in batches to quickly sear the steak on each side, then transfer to a clean plate.
- Make the sauce- It's best to do this before you start cooking. Shake up the honey, water, soy sauce, hoisin sauce, ginger and garlic. Add it to the pan, return the beef to the pan, and cook until the sauce has thickened.
- Portion, store & reheat- Divide the Mongolian beef between four meal prep containers with ½ cup cooked rice and 1 cup steamed vegetables. Store in the fridge for up to 4 days. Reheat in the microwave until steaming hot.
3. Corn, Avocado, and Quinoa Salad with Marinated Tomatoes
- 1 cup quinoa
- uncooked 4 ears raw sweet corn, kernels cut off the cob
- 1–2 cups marinated tomatoes and their juices
- 1 shallot, minced
- lots of fresh cilantro and chives, minced
- 1–2 limes juice and zest
- olive oil to taste
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup Cotija cheese (optional)
- 1–2 avocados, diced
- Cook quinoa according to package directions.
- Toss cooled quinoa with corn, tomatoes and juice, shallots, herbs, lime juice and zest, olive oil, and salt.
- The mixture will hold up pretty well for a few hours in the fridge (or even for a day or two, if you don’t mind that it will look a little less perky). Wait to toss in your avocado and cheese just before serving for optimal freshness, and if it’s been sitting for a while, give it one more salt / oil / lime juice treatment to wake it all up.
Open your home restaurant. Take time to prepare food. Enjoy your meal to the fullest!